How can I be sure I have reached enlightenment?
Actually, there are signs:
- If you think you are enlightened, you are not.
- If you think you are not enlightened, you are also not.
- If you believe that enlightenment exists or does not exist, then you are not enlightened.
If you are enlightened, then the whole issue has long ceased to occupy you.
However, in that case this conversation between us would not be occurring.
My advice is to forget the whole subject, which is anyway no more than a game of words and ideas. Leave that to the philosophers, who are good at ideas.More important is to look after yourself and look after others, everyone in fact, to the best of your abilities. Avoid harm and create benefit to the extent possible each moment. What more could anyone ask from you? This way, through unconditional kindness, you are totally fulfilled each moment of your life, including the moment of your death.
As the Tibetans say:
- Less than that is not enough
- More than that is unnecessary